Documentaries – 30 to 90 minutes
The different genres are:
1. Propaganda – e.g. – Olympia
2. Essay film e.g. – color of desert by Petra, it is about why something is the way it is? It is reflective in nature.
Why is the desert yellow or white or … no right answer, just something that one wonders about.
Another e.g. – roger and me by Michael Moore.
5. Theses (activist, NGO) films
7. Travel (essays)
8. Travelogues (which talk about where to stay, how much are hotels for) what to do there, where to go.
9. Observational – cinema verte
10. Social issues – this draws a huge audience
12. Sports and music – event centered film,
13. Process films – following a person as they go to a place, n how they interact, like say Annie lebovitz n how her shoot happens how she goes about things.
14. Recreation – the situation is recreated
15 reenactment - there are actors and it is staged.
Documentary movies to watch
WASTELAND - IT IS well structured story, almost like a feature,
It is an e.g. of social issue, process film, biography / observational/ compilation.
BEUNA VISTS SOCIAL CLUB- DIR BY WIM WENDOR – PRODUCED BY DEEPAK NAIR
THIS IS AN EG OF TRAVEL FILM, EVENT CETERED FILM,
THE BEACHES OF AGNES – E.G OF BIOGRAPHY, RECREATTION, PERFORMANCE
ANNIE LEIBOVITZ – THROUGH THE LENS,
IS AN E.G OF OBSERVATIOBAL BIOGRAPHY.
FARENHEIT 9 / 11 BY MICHEAL MOORE, IS A PROPAGANDA / THESES FILM (director has an idea what he wants to say, n is saying that through his film)
Nanook of the north – is not a true cinema verete
Weeping camel 1995 eg of Nature , observation, cinema verete style .
As a process write a review about every documentary that you see and what affect it had on you?