Friday, June 15, 2018

The Jute Saga

 
Jutes being prepared for the market

Well I am going to make my first trip to the mandi and sell Jute, yes; it is a 100 odd Kg of Jute (one quintal)

I was told by a farm help who was going to accompany me, that we would be setting off at 0530 hours as the market is finished by 0700 hours, and the market was an hour away

 Dday -1 , in the evening the Jute was all retied and packed tight to make it market ready , the job took a good 3 hours and plenty of sweat like everything in life,

So I hit the bed early preparing for my adventure, and at 0400 hours he is at my door, as I lay in bed still, sleep having eluded me as I keep looking at the watch.  
FH- wake up, and lets go or we will be late he says

I am like – but you said 0530 hours
FH- it it getting bright, so lets go,

I realize the meaning of crack of dawn as I grab my trouser n wash quick and am on the electric rickshaw in 20 minutes time, we are on our way as it is starting to get light.

The dawn plays itself 


An hour on the rickshaw was a treat to be not riding myself and to watch the road roll on by. I reach the market, is basically a road side market where vehicles pull up and you sell your stuff and move on, here I am with 3 bundles, while there are traders with 20 times the amount of jute I am trying to sell.

Volume per Traders 



I have a sinking feel as to  how I will fare, compared to the big player, its not been often that I have been  a small player in any field, it was truly a humbling experience to be the small fry in this market place.

 Hardly is a agent interested in my goods and a few who did come by told me how bad my stuff was and why they would not be interested in buying it, I am wondering if I am being played or if it indeed true, anyway I stick on and finally there is an offer for my Jute, by a buyers agent who informs me my Jute can be used to make rope alone as it is of poor quality.

Rope making 


and not any product and went on to give me a course on what and why my stuff is not the best,  I am a little desperate by now and agree to his rate which is less then half of what I had imagined it will sell for.



Jute is Finally Sold


Well deed done, we head back, I am disappointed in myself and Sibu the guys who helped carry the Jute has a grin as he tell me, enjoy life rain or shine, I agree with him, and proceed to buy him breakfast and some Red meat for his family ,,,







No comments:

Post a Comment